About Schackenborg Castle

Schackenborg Castle

Tuesday 8 September we will visit Schackenborg Castle and have dinner at Schackenborg Slotskro (Castle Inn), situated along the beautiful cobbled Slotsgade where ducks wander about during the day and old lanterns light up at night. Schackenborg Slotskro, privileged since1687 is the closest neighbour to Schackenborg Castle, where HRH Prince Joachim resided from 1995 to 2014. 

Today the castle is owned by the “Schackenborg Foundation” set up by HRH Prince Joachim, Bitten and Mads Clausen Foundation, Ecco Holding and Ole Kirk’s Foundation. It has Prince Joachim and Princess Marie as patrons.

Schackenborg Slotskro is owned by Schackenborg Slotskro A / S – a partnership between His Royal Highness Prince Joachim and the renowned ship owner Hans Michael Jebsen.

History

Schackenborg Castle is located  in a magnificent natural and cultural landscape in the village of Møgeltønder in close proximity to the marshes and the sea.

Lush farmland and a strategic location near the sea and southern boarder have made the area around Schackenborg attractive and rich since ancient times. No one knows for sure when or who were the first settlers on Schackenborg's lands, but the area has probably been inhabited since ancient times. 

It is in this area in the village of Gallehus, only a few kilometers from Schackenborg, that Denmark's richest and most sensational archaeological gold finds were made, two 400-year-old gold horns. The Golden Horns were made around the year 400 AD and were decorated with both Nordic and Roman motifs. The combined weight of the horns was nearly 7 kg (both horns were stolen and melted down in 1802). A testimony that the area was already fertile and prosperous in the Germanic Iron Age.

There are many indications that around 1050, in the earliest medieval period, there was a fort where Schackenborg is situated today. However, Schackenborg's earliest history is associated with great uncertainty. In 1234, Møgeltønderhus is mentioned for the first time in the written historical sources. Møgeltønderhus is the castle which Hans Schack was given over 400 years later by King Frederik the III, and the place where he since built Schackenborg.

Møgeltønderhus was one of the bastions of the Danish Crown and Church in the battle with the Holstein Counties, which regularly flared up. 

With the Reformation in 1536, both the Middle Ages and the era of Catholicism ended in Denmark. The Catholic Church's possessions now passed on to the throne, and so did Møgeltønderhus. The castle and the underlying estate were handed over to the new royal sheriff, Detlef Ahlefeldt. He initiated a major restoration of Møgeltønderhus, and the containment of the southern Jutland marsh with the construction of the dikes at Højer and Rudbøl.

The present buildings were built in the mid-17th century by the Danish commander Hans Schack, hence the name Schackenborg Castle. The castle served for 11 generations in the Schack family until 1978 where the castle by Hans Schack was handed over to His Royal Highness Prince Joakim.

Copyright Rømø-Tønder Turistbureau
Copyright Rømø-Tønder Turistbureau