Copenhagen airport is the largest airport in Denmark, but there are also two smaller airports in the area, Aarhus (Tirstrup) and Billund.
Aarhus Airport (AAR)
- Aarhus Airport (Tirstrup) is fairly small and has frequent arrivals from Copenhagen (approx. 7 flights per day), London (Stansted), Oslo, Stockholm, Gothenburg and a few other destinations depending on the season.
The London flights are from Stansted and are operated by Ryanair, who also operate a few other seasonal routes. Flights have to be booked directly with Ryanair online. Most other flights into Aarhus Airport are operated by SAS (from Copenhagen) and British Airways and can be booked either online or through a travel agent. For a full list of destinations from to/from this airport see the Aarhus Airport website.
- There is a 45 minute bus ride to the centre of Aarhus which costs 115 DKK, and stops both close to the University and in the centre of the city. Click here for the timetable for this bus service (lufthavn=airport).
- Further information regarding Aarhus airport can be found at www.aar.dk which gives details (in English and Danish) of flights, the bus service and car rental.
Billund Airport (BLL)
- Billund Airport is much larger than Aarhus Airport and has arrivals from many European destinations.
- The bus ride into the centre of Aarhus takes ~1hr and 40 minutes and costs ~160DKK. The bus stops in the centre of the city, at the coach station (Rutebilestation). The location of the stop is shown on the map at the bottom of this page. Information about Billund Airport can be found at www.bll.dk. Click here to view the bus timetable between Billund airport and Aarhus.
Copenhagen Airport (CPH)
Copenhagen Airport is the largest airport in Denmark, with hundreds of flights a day from around the world. To reach Aarhus from this airport you need to either take a connecting flight into Aarhus airport or take a train.
- By air from Copenhagen to Aarhus: The flight takes only 20 minutes and if your flight into Copenhagen is with one of the Star Alliance airlines you can usually buy the connecting flight to Aarhus included in the ticket.
You will then need to take the airport bus into the centre of Aarhus (see above).
- By train from Copenhagen to Aarhus: There are direct trains from the airport to the centre of Aarhus which take about 3 hrs 30 mins. (There are other trains which require a change at Copenhagen main railway station). The price of a one way ticket is 388 DKK and to reserve a seat is 30 DKK (recommended for journeys during peak hours in the morning and evening). For more information see the train information below.
Aarhus main train station
Current timetables for ferries to Zealand (Aarhus-Odden/Aarhus-Kalundborg):
Mols-Linien (in danish only)